Job Title: SERVE Internship
SERVE is seeking an Intern for its Belfast Office. This intern will play a vital role and will contribute significantly to the administration of the SERVE Overseas Volunteering Programme as well as the daily functions of the Communications and Fundraising departments. The intern will have hands-on, practical experience and receive a range of training opportunities. An overseas experience forms part of the internship.
Location: SERVE, 99 Botanic Avenue, Belfast, BT7 1JN, Antrim.
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Contract Type: Fixed Term – 1 year internship, Starting end of September 2014.
SERVE: SERVE is an Overseas Development and Volunteering Organisation committed to tackling poverty in the majority world.We strive to do this by working in solidarity, service and partnership with marginalised and oppressed communities, empowering them to tackle the root causes of poverty and injustice.
SERVE has successfully recruited, trained and placed over 1,000 volunteers on projects overseas and in Ireland since 2003. SERVE are committed to achieving tangible development outcomes in favour of children and young people and towards achieving gender equality. We achieve this through supporting, funding, mentoring & accompanying the development programmes being implemented by our partners.SERVE works through partners in Brazil, Haiti, South Africa, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe, India, Thailand and the Philippines. SERVE contributes a budget of over €1 million each year, supporting programmes that help transform the lives of some of the poorest communities in the world.
Supporting the Overseas Volunteer Programme Department;
Assisting in the implementation of the Communications and Fundraising Strategy / Calendar.
The candidate would ideally be a graduate, with an interest in Development work.
Previous volunteer experience in Ireland or overseas would be an asset.
- Preparation & delivery of presentations of our programme work to the public
- Attendance at open days, volunteer fairs, work fairs etc.
- Updating and maintenance of website & IT Database.
- Interviewing, selection and placement of volunteers in accordance with HR best practice.
- Training of volunteers and group leaders.
- Promotion of SERVE fundraising activities
- Production of website articles/newspaper articles/SERVE newsletter
- Updating Social Media Sites
- General Office Administration
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- A good working knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- A professional phone manner
- Strong and committed team worker
- Willingness to undertake some travel within Ireland for work. Occasional weekend work required. Flexibility is needed
- Self-motivated, energetic and detail orientated
- Ability to work without close supervision, to use initiative and meet deadlines
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner
- Excellent ability to multi task
– A stipend / allowance will be provided for this internship role;
– Overseas volunteer experience opportunity;
– Personal and professional development in the International Development sector;
– Opportunities for training courses in the sector.
How to apply: