Volunteer and Immersion Programmes – Development Education
Development Education plays a vital role in SERVE’s Volunteering and Immersion Programmes. Development Education is mainstreamed throughout the programme. All participants take part in seminars and workshops before, during, and after the placement.
SERVE have always strived to provide an experience that is more involved than the physical acts of construction work or running programmes. SERVE believes that if you are privileged enough to be able to travel to work with the various partner organisations that you ought to learn something about the underlying issues of the place, and start to critique your own actions and contribution to global inequality. Having a first-hand educational experience in a country in the Global South should inspire you to create change at home, and live a life in solidarity with the people, communities and projects with which you worked.
- SERVE believe that development education has a critical role to play in increasing awareness and understanding of the rapidly changing,interdependent and unequal world in which we live.
- SERVE is committed to informing people, especially young people of the causes and realities of poverty with an explicit focus on developing countries.
- We are able to achieve this by:
Training volunteers to have both the strategies, techniques and capacity to make presentations in schools, colleges, parishes, communities and workplaces. SERVE estimate close to 8,000 annually benefit from these presentations.
The Sustainable Development Goals:
- SERVE supports the SDGs by supporting partners who are involved in education, healthcare and promoting gender equality.
- SERVE’s annual Flip Flop Appeal event supports SDG#5, promoting gender equality and empowering women. Through Flip Flop Friday, SERVE is successfully working towards achieving this goal with our partner The Regina Centre, Nong-Khai. Thailand.
- For further reading on development education check out www.developmenteducation.ie, www.ideaonline.ie, and www.comhlamh.org
SERVE is a development and volunteering organisation committed to tackling poverty in the majority world. We strive to do this by working in solidarity, service and partnership with marginalised and oppressed communities, empowering them to tackle the root causes of poverty and injustice.
- Our volunteer, Darren Hennelly, has just set off from Dublin to Mazabuka, Zambia to start his 12-month placement wi… https://t.co/V8Zr1c9M2b